Graceland Wedding Chapel - Our History
Graceland Wedding Chapel was once a little house built in 1927 at 619 So. 5th Street by Scottish settlers looking to be a part of the American Dream. Just after the end of WWII and the beginning of the baby boom era, a dramatic increase in wedding ceremonies took place due to the renowned relaxed marriage license laws in Las Vegas. In 1947, the same year Bugsy Siegel's famed Flamingo Hotel officially reopened for business, the front portion of the house was transformed into a wedding chapel and our first wedding was performed:
Ben and Mary Pearsall from Anchorage, Alaska. The chapel was named McKee's Gretna Green Wedding Chapel, after the famous nuptial Scottish village just across the border from England. A few years later, 5th Street served as a common connector between the Downtown gambling establishments and the developing casinos resorts located further south in the desert and thus became commonly known as "The Strip". The chapel flourished over the years, providing a venue conveniently located right on The Strip.
In 1967, 20 years after our first wedding was performed, an unannounced knock on the door revealed none other than the King of Rock n Roll, Elvis Presley himself. On our doorstep. Just wanting to come in for a short visit, forever changing the destiny of the chapel. Love was in the air for Elvis, for later that year he would marry Priscilla Bilyeau at the Aladdin Hotel (presently Planet Hollywood) here in Vegas to accommodate his 250+ guests. After Elvis' death in 1977, Gretna Green wedding chapel officially changed its name to Graceland Wedding Chapel in commemoration of the life and visit of Elvis Presley to our chapel.
Since then, and literally thousands of ceremonies later, we have had musical Hollywood icons either marry, renew vows, or just drop by including Jon Bon Jovi, Billy Ray Cyrus, Rob Zombie, Jay Leno, Andie MacDowel and members of groups such as Def Lepard, the Thompson Twins, The Beastie Boys, The Moody Blues, and KISS.
: 1(702)382-0091 or